[Beowulf] Parallel memory

Mark Hahn hahn at physics.mcmaster.ca
Thu Oct 20 11:51:30 EDT 2005

> At cluster 2005 in Boston last month, I listened to a prsentation about
> swapping over infinband's rDMA to remote memory. They had a latge
> quicksort running at 1.7 times the speed of doing it in local memory only.
> 	http://www.cluster2005.org/122.html

"1.7x slower" according to the abstract.  at first glance at least,
it's not really an impressive result - the sort would have been much
faster if they had simply done a parallel qsort, rather than using
a bunch of slaves as dumb/passive block-memory servers.  or is someone
actually proposing IB boxes with no real CPU but lots of ram?