[Beowulf] portable clusters

Andrew Piskorski atp at piskorski.com
Mon Nov 28 13:40:41 EST 2005

On Mon, Nov 28, 2005 at 07:08:33AM -0800, Jim Lux wrote:
> At 09:57 PM 11/27/2005, Greg Lindahl wrote:
> >On Sun, Nov 27, 2005 at 09:32:45PM -0800, Jim Lux wrote:
> >> Has anyone done a diskless cluster (i.e. boot the nodes off the network)
> >> where the nodes run Linux but the headnode/server is a WinXP/Win2K box?
> >>
> >> Think in terms of booting off the drive in a laptop.

> >Why does the Windows box need to be the head node? Just make it a
> >dedicated data collection system, and have a normal Linux head node.
>
> Only want to have ONE disk in the system, and it needs to be in the Windows
> box to support the the data acq function.  Dual boot of the laptop isn't a

Why?  That seems like an artificial restriction to me.  Are you doing
someting like carrying your laptop around to conferences and such,
booting borrowed desktops from CD to use as the (diskless) nodes, and
you don't want to carry around a second laptop or other small machine
to use as the Linux head node?

--
Andrew Piskorski <atp at piskorski.com>
http://www.piskorski.com/