[Beowulf] cpu information

bala rb at hcl.in
Sat Nov 26 00:04:25 EST 2005

Dear all,
I am bechmarking a server with intel xeon DP 3.6GHZ on a Brandon2 mother
board. I wanted to check the performance of the machine with a single
processor and i removed a processor leaving the setup with a single Xeon
(Nocona)3.6 Ghz DP processor on board.

While running the intel optimised linpack benchmark on this setup to my
surprise the result had a processor information with 2.72 Ghz. When i
checked the /proc/cpuinfo in RHAS 4 update platform i was using the same
frequency was available.

But the BIOS information shows a single processor with 3600Ghz. HT is

With linux both smp kernel and ordinary up kernel are showing the same
cpu speed.

What could be the reason for this?

Balamurugan. R

"Please note our changed Email Address"