RS: [Beowulf] Sempron compile optimization

Chris Samuel csamuel at
Wed Nov 23 18:17:41 EST 2005

On Thursday 24 November 2005 10:13, Steffen Persvold wrote:

> However, I do think it is rather annoying that gcc on ppc64 produces 32bit
> binaries by default.

> I  believe the IBM compiler produce 64bit.

Unfortunately not.

$ xlc hello.c -o t2
1506-503 (W) Option "-qlongdouble / -qldbl128" is not supported for LINUX for Power.
$ file t2
t2: ELF 32-bit MSB executable, PowerPC or cisco 4500, version 1 (SYSV), for GNU/Linux 2.2.5, dynamically linked (uses shared libs), not stripped

Hey ho, at least it's consistently disappointing.. :-)

 Victorian Partnership for Advanced Computing