[Beowulf] SC|05: will 10Ge beat IB?

Greg Lindahl lindahl at pathscale.com
Wed Nov 23 15:44:47 EST 2005

On Wed, Nov 23, 2005 at 03:25:14PM -0500, Jeffrey B. Layton wrote:

>   I think Scali's MPI trick is a kernel bypass and their
> own packets (not TCP).

Yes, that's what ParTec does, too.

>   I'm not sure they are still developing this module since
> not too many people use it since they priced it so high
> (something like $400+ a node!!).

That's if you want to compile your own apps. In another model, the ISV
pays once and all their customers get to use it with the ISV app for
no additional money. It's an interesting example of technology that
would take off if it were free, but the commercial version is a bit
expensive and the free community has failed to productize the idea.

-- greg