[Beowulf] Re: Opteron 275 performance

Ben Mayer bmayer at gmail.com
Wed Jul 27 13:07:24 EDT 2005

> We are considering getting a Dual Dual-Core Opteron system vs. two Dual
> Opteron systems.  We like the ability to use all four cores on one model
> but a lot of what we'll do is have two models running at the same time,
> each using two cores.
> We are worried that running two models on one system with four cores (each
> model using two cores) will not work as well as using two systems, each
> with two cores/cpu's.  Is this what you were refering to (Igor) when you
> wrote:

Correct me if I am wrong but I am under the impression that each CPU
has one memory controller, independent of the number of cores. So if
you go dual core those cores are sharing a memory controller. What you
have in the end if you go dual core with 2 CPUs is 4 cores with 2
memory controllers.

If on the other hand you get two systems which two single core CPUs,
then you will have a total of 4 cores and 4 memory controllers.

So it would really depend on price of the systems and if your core
needs the full memory bandwidth of a controller.

Benjamin Mayer
University of Minnesota
Ph.D. Student, Computer Science
HPC, Data Mining for Medical Informatics and Network Intrusion Detection