[Beowulf] Re: MPI Implementations for SMP use

Greg Lindahl lindahl at pathscale.com
Mon Jan 3 14:12:45 EST 2005

On Sun, Dec 19, 2004 at 05:37:20PM -0600, Isaac Dooley wrote:

> Not necessarily. Charm++ uses an abstraction that does not concern the
> programmer with the location/node of a given object.

That's the problem. I should really use "explicit locality" instead of
"perfect locality" -- the perfect was referring to the good
performance implications of the programmer never screwing up because
he doesn't realize an object isn't local.

Explicit locality is harder to use, but helps scaling/performance.

BTW, I work with one of the charm++/AMPI authors, so I think I'm pretty
familiar with it ;-)

-- greg