[Beowulf] BEOWULF vs NORMAL CLUSTER

sadat khan sadat_vit at yahoo.co.in
Sat Feb 12 02:38:32 EST 2005

I am a new addition to this mailing list.Recently got interesterd in the field  of high performance computing. We had Mr.Anand Babu in our college in recently(the creator of the 5th fastest supercomputer in the world  THUNDER).

And he gave a really good talk on clustering....

First up i would like to enquire as to whether there is any difference between a beowulf and normal cluster??? Or is it jus another name for a cluster...

Another thing is what exactly do packages like MPI and PVM do ???

would be highly grateful for the help