[Beowulf] Re: Re: Home beowulf - NIC latencies

Isaac Dooley idooley at isaacdooley.com
Fri Feb 11 15:39:29 EST 2005

>True. I always wonder what the low-CPU-usage-advocates want the MPI
>process to do while i.e. an MPI_Send() is executed.
They don't want the process to do anything when the call MPI_Send,
however carefully using asynchronous or non-blocking messaging ideally
would not use the CPU. Using MPI_ISend() allows programs to not waste
CPU cycles waiting on the completion of a message transaction. This is
critical for some tightly coupled fine grained applications. Also it
allows for overlapping computation and communication, which is beneficial.

Isaac Dooley
Beowulf mailing list, Beowulf at beowulf.org