[Beowulf] Information Reseach Lab

Ben Vanhaeren bvanhaer at sckcen.be
Tue Feb 1 02:48:19 EST 2005

On Monday 31 January 2005 11:46, Ziad Shaaban wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> I am planning to have an information lab in our faculty built of: Dell,
> Linux, Oracle and GIS.
>
> Can I use Beowulf to analyze GIS Data and display them on the web using
> ArcIMS, all three vendors said yes, but can I use Beowulf?

I think you should read the Beowulf FAQ:
http://www.beowulf.org/overview/faq.html#1
Beowulf is a concept not a piece of software.

I don't think you are going to need a beowulf cluster for the kind of
application you want to run (analyzing GIS data). If you want to guarantee
availability of your GIS data or do loadbalancing (distribute the load to
several servers) you should take a look at linux HA project:
http://www.linux-ha.org/
Apache loadbalancing with mod_backhand:
http://www.backhand.org/ApacheCon2001/US/backhand_course_notes.pdf
and Oracle Real Application Clusters (RAC).

--
Ben Vanhaeren
System Administrator

----------  SCK-CEN Disclaimer  ---------