[Beowulf] Re: What vendors would you be sure to check out?
strombrg at dcs.nac.uci.edu
Fri Dec 30 16:10:34 EST 2005
First of all, thanks much to all who responded!
Here's the summary I promised:
- Vendor from scalableinformatics.com indicates they are pleased with
the Sun x86_64 systems they're selling. They also sell some systems
(they built?) with iWill motherboards. They don't like Tyan's that
- Another Sun x86_64 recommendation
- A third Sun x86_64 recommendation
- A fourth recommendation for Sun x86_64
- A second Penguin recommendation
- Joe Landmann's company: They build'em, but they use only quality
- IBM, but only at a price premium
- A recommendation against Dell, due to having only recently started
doing AMD, and due to frequently insisting on selling a microsoft
license with each box. Also, they will sometimes send parts other
than what you requested, unless you specifically say you want no
- Another iWill recommendation - this time specifically for a barebones
- Someone from LiquidComputing suggests LiquidComputing boxes
So in short, that's:
3 Sun x86_64
0 Dell (1 + -1)
1 Joe Landmann's co
1 LiquidComputing (1 from vendor itself)
Further, on the subject of remote administration:
- A recommendation for IMPI. Supermicro has stuff that can do IMPI 2
and you can configure the BIOS to send BIOS info via serial, and can
remote powerup/down via ethernet
- Someone says that Sun v20z and v40z can do IPMI and can send BIOS to
serial. Galaxy line is purported to do IPMI 1.5.
On Mon, 2005-12-19 at 23:01 -0800, Dan Stromberg wrote:
> If you were shopping for about 25 nodes for MPI and OpenMP, each one
> dual core and dual processor, each one 64 bit x86 to run linux, with
> remote administration including system reset and bios tweaking, what
> vendors would you make sure not to neglect checking into?
> Please reply off list, and I'll summarize.
Beowulf mailing list, Beowulf at beowulf.org
To change your subscription (digest mode or unsubscribe) visit http://www.beowulf.org/mailman/listinfo/beowulf
More information about the Beowulf