[Beowulf] Newbie

Leif Nixon nixon at nsc.liu.se
Fri Dec 30 03:35:46 EST 2005

Skylar Thompson <skylar at cs.earlham.edu> writes:

> For a variety of reasons, I recommend using ssh with passwordless
> keys, rather than host authentication with rsh.

I beg to differ. Passwordless keys are a really bad habit (except in
very special circumstances like cron jobs - but then the key should be
restricted in authorized_keys to allow a single command).

Setting up hostbased authentication for ssh is much more appropriate
for a cluster environment.

Leif Nixon                       -            Systems expert
National Supercomputer Centre    -      Linkoping University
Beowulf mailing list, Beowulf at beowulf.org