[Beowulf] Cluster Applications in Submarine Environment

Mark Hahn hahn at physics.mcmaster.ca
Sun Dec 4 13:37:04 EST 2005

> contact me directly.  I would particularly like to hear from anyone doing
> parallel DSP, acoustic signal processing, or cryptography.  I'd also be
> interested in comments regarding low power per cubic foot packaging since I

as I'm sure you're aware, low-power commodity processors are also
lower-speed.  that's certainly the case with Orion stuff, PC104 clusters,
etc.

have you considered using the new generation of relatively easy-to-program
FPGA's instead?  the real beauty of Beowulf-like hardware is its flexibility
(as well as commodity pricing, of course).  but your application seems much
more of a production thing, where the greater compute-density of FPGA's
would be appropriate.  costs would depend on scale, I think.

regards, mark hahn.