[Beowulf] I wanna know the performance difference between Intel Nocona and AMD Opteron

Bill Broadley bill at cse.ucdavis.edu
Thu Apr 7 16:34:21 EDT 2005

On Tue, Apr 05, 2005 at 08:12:18PM +0800, Henry_Xu at Dell.com wrote:
> Hello,
> A friend of mine want to set up 32-node beowulf HPCC cluster. He has two
> hardware platform to choose. One is Intel nocona , the other is AMD
> Opteron.
> Can anybody send me some articles related to :
> 1. performance difference between those two platforms on 32-bit
> computing;
> 2. performance difference between those two platforms on 64-bit
> computing;

This depends on your application.  Any generalization could be
significantly incorrect for a given application.  Buying 32 nodes based
on some generalization could lead to significantly less performance per $
on your application.

If your power/cooling isn't free I'd also look at power usage, I've seen
power/cooling costs approach 50% of a 3 year cost to own for a $3k system.

In general a dual opteron has around twice the memory bandwidth and
lower power usage than the nocona.  Additionally the new 90nm opterons
use even less power (per MHz).

Bill Broadley
Computational Science and Engineering
UC Davis