[Beowulf] MPI questions

Sean Dilda agrajag at dragaera.net
Mon Apr 4 10:22:50 EDT 2005

Jake Thebault-Spieker wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> What is the difference between MPI? Does MPI need to be running on all
> the nodes or just the node that the job was started on?

You are asking questions specific to MPI implementations, not MPI
itself.  MPI is an API definition.  That's it.  There are several
different implementations of MPI.  Two of the most common are MPICH and
LAM/MPI.

> Is the debian
> package MPICH the correct one?

Although I don't use debian, that should work.  If its MPICH 1, you
don't need any daemons running.  It'll launch the jobs through rsh or
ssh (depending on how its compiled).