[Beowulf] Re: Beowulf of bare motherboards - blades

Tue Sep 28 14:04:02 EDT 2004

hi ya

On Tue, 28 Sep 2004, Eugen Leitl wrote:

> You're aware of http://206.14.132.88/products/Travla/c147/C147.html
> right?

nope .. too big ( deep )
and we have 9" depth mini-itx cases instead of giant monsters

> > i'm aiming to put 4 ide disks per blade .. ( motherboard )
>
> Blade doesn't quite seem to apply here. Maybe
> 	http://206.14.132.88/products/Travla/c146/C146.html
> would fit this requirement profile.

not even close .. we needed to hold 40 disks in 4U space (15TB per 4U)

	and avoid all the power cords  ( 8-10 vs 100 of um )
	( 1 nice (real) power supply per 5-10 motherboards )

	avoid all the heat... ( almost null compared to 1Us )

	avoid all the gazillion wires...  ( hard to avoid rats nest w/o
		putting a kvm and nic switch inside the 4U )

	quieter is better for working on the mess

c ya
alvin