[Beowulf] Re: building a new cluster

Jeff Layton jeffrey.b.layton at lmco.com
Fri Sep 3 13:47:40 EDT 2004

SC Huang wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I just posted some timing results from my MPI code here:
>
>http://www.geocities.com/schuang21/index.html
>
>More are coming soon. It looks like even with gigabit switch (at least
>for this MPI code) using more than 16 nodes is not good...
>
>Any comment or suggestion is very welcome. :-)

Question: Is disk I/O included in these times?

But if I had to guess, I'd say that Opteron/Myrinet would be
better than Xeon/Myrinet (looking at the smaller number of
processes and exptrapolating).

Have you thought about Infiniband? I've heard that IB is
coming waaay down in price. Plus there are motherboards
coming with built-in IB (not sure when they'll be out though).

Jeff

--
Dr. Jeff Layton
Aerodynamics and CFD