[Beowulf] building a new cluster

SC Huang schuang21 at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 1 03:36:12 EDT 2004

Hi,

I am about to order a new cluster using a $100K grant for running our in-house MPI codes. I am trying to have at least 36-40 (or more, if possible) nodes. The individual node configuration is:

dual Xeon 2.8 GHz
512K L2 cache, 1MB L3 cache, 533 FSB
2GB DDR RAM
gigabit NIC
80 GB IDE hard disk

The network will be based on a gigabit switch. Most vendors I talked to use HP Procurve 2148 or 4148.

Can anyone comment on the configuration (and the switch) above? Any other comments (e.g. recommeded vendor, etc) are also welcome.

Thanks!!!