[Beowulf] High Performance for Large Database

Joseph Mack mack.joseph at epa.gov
Fri Oct 29 08:38:01 EDT 2004

Jakob Oestergaard wrote:

> On Tue, Oct 26, 2004 at 01:08:00PM -0600, Joshua Marsh wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I'm currently working on a project that will require fast access to
> > data stored in a postgreSQL database server.  I've been told that a
> > Beowulf cluster may help increase performance.

The Linux Virtual Server (LVS) project www.linuxvirtualserver.org
is a load balancer which allows multiple requests to be balanced
amongst a set of backend machines. It works perfectly for readonly.
If clients write to the backend machines, then the updates have
to be propagated to the other backend machines, and you have to
do this outside LVS. If your usage is read mostly and you want
a low cost solution, then LVS will do what you want. If you want
a real parallel database, be prepared to pay lots of money to Oracle.

disclaimer: I'm part of the LVS project

Joe

LMIT, Supporting the EPA Research Triangle Park, NC 919-541-0007
Federal Contact - John B. Smith 919-541-1087 - smith.johnb at epa.gov