[Beowulf] Mailing solution with Beowulf

Nicolas Jungers nj at hemeris.com
Tue Nov 23 13:49:09 EST 2004

On Tue, 2004-11-23 at 15:41, Subhash K V wrote:
> Hai,
>
> I am subhash from HCL Insys, India. One of our customer wants to
> implement a mailing Linux Based Mailing solution (Qmail or Sendmail)
> with any of the web mail(squirrel mail or Horde) as front end. The
> number of usersis 8000 and the number of concurrent users is 5000.
>
> We are thinking of using Linux clustering for this case, because the
> number of users and concurrent users is high we need to think of some
> kind of load balancing and performance
>
> Can u please tell me the scope of Beowulf clustering in thei scenario,
> is there anyn proble in using Beowulf with qmail and webmail?

8,000 users is nothing for a mail system, 5,000 concurrent users is
huge. I don't see how you can get that last number from the first one.
Nevertheless, your problem is more a load balancing issue than a beowulf
one. I'd advice to use a distributed back end to store the mail. A
virtual server as front-end (round robin should be enough) and some kind
of database to tie the stuff (ldap, MySQL come to mind, but others may
be fine).

Nicolas