[Beowulf] Register article on Opteron - disagree

Robert G. Brown rgb at phy.duke.edu
Mon Nov 22 20:05:59 EST 2004

On Mon, 22 Nov 2004, Donald Becker wrote:

> > > Personally, I think if Don wants to limit posts to list member, that's
> > > fine.  But he shouldn't choose a few list members to automatically get
> > > their posts approved, and others who don't.
> Don't have much experience running big lists, eh?  There are spammers
> clever enough to subscribe before posting, along with "Astroturf"
> posters generating pseudo-grass-roots interest in a product or project.

Ya got me there.  Although, as always, your responses are an education
in and of themselves...;-)

> We are currently "ahead", so I'm not motivated to change the current
> process.  Very few undesirable messages get through, and approved
> messages are sent to all reachable subscribers in less than five
> minutes.  In the final tally, most people will accept moderation delays
> in return for avoiding low content density.

You might put a bit of this in a FAQ somewhere, as it is close to one.
I've had people asking me the answer to this offline a half-dozen times,
I think out of jealousy that I tend to go through quickly because I'm a
very conservative poster (in terms of where I come from, spam-like

I'm just glad that the list works and DOES keep out spam well enough
that my local filters have very little work to do.

Duke University Dept. of Physics, Box 90305
Durham, N.C. 27708-0305
Phone: 1-919-660-2567  Fax: 919-660-2525     email:rgb at phy.duke.edu