[Beowulf] CCL:Question regarding Mac G5 performance

Konstantin Kudin konstantin_kudin at yahoo.com
Mon May 24 13:45:32 EDT 2004

Joe Landman wrote:

>>  While I can't speak for every code out there, for Gaussian03 I2
>> to work extremely well:
>> http://www.princeton.edu/~kkudin/g03_b5_tests_1.txt

> Looks interesting.  From the text, "All Intel compatible hardware ran
> under RedHat 9.0, in 32 bits."  I presume you ran the I2 as a 64 bit
> using pgf77?  or g77/ifc?

 I think I2 was using ifc compiler or something like that under a
64-bit OS. It does not seem like PGF or G77 are supported on I2 in
64-bits by Gaussian.

> Also you used the Atlas libs for p4.  Same
> ones for O16 and O20?

 Yep, it was the same binary version running on all these machines.
After a couple of optimization attempts it appeared that Opteron ran
code optimized for P4 just as quickly as the code that was supposedly
optimized for Opteron, so I simplified the whole thing.

> I would be curious to see the performance with a 64 bit compilation
> running under a 64 bit OS (SuSE 9.x)

 Me too :-) According to this CCL message (and other reliable sources),
the official 64-bit support is just around the corner:

(see reply #2)

 It is unlikely that one can gain much speed from going to 64 bits, but
the support for larger memory and unlimited scratch files is very
worthwhile in itself.

Do you Yahoo!?
Beowulf mailing list, Beowulf at beowulf.org