[Beowulf] Intel CSA performance?

Greg Lindahl lindahl at pathscale.com
Sat Mar 20 23:01:36 EST 2004

On Fri, Mar 19, 2004 at 10:58:53PM -0500, Robert Myers wrote:

> I had thought it might be interesting to fool around with trying to use
> CSA for hyperscsi, but I think you're saying if you're going to use a
> switched network, don't bother, if you're trying to win on latency.

I've never heard of "hyperscsi", and I am not saying what you think
I'm saying. What I am saying is that if you're going to use 1 gigabit
Ethernet, which has high latency in the switches, AND go through the
kernel, don't bother. I was pretty clear, so I don't see how you
missed it. There are certainly many examples of switched networks that
are low latency, such as Myrinet, IB, Quadrics, SCI, and so forth.

> When Intel abandoned infiniband

Intel has not abandoned Infiniband. They discontinued a 1X interface
that was going to get stomped in the market that was developing more
slowly than expected. Just like you drew the wrong lesson from what I
said, don't draw the wrong lesson from what Intel did.

> Every indication I can find is that Intel has all its bets on ethernet,

This contradicts what Intel says. They are not betting against
ethernet, but they are certainly encouraging FC and IB where FC and IB
make sense. However, this is straying beyond beowulf, and I hope that
this mailing list can avoid being the cesspool that comp.arch has
been for many years.

-- greg