[Beowulf] Intel CSA performance?

Greg Lindahl lindahl at pathscale.com
Fri Mar 19 21:51:56 EST 2004

On Thu, Mar 18, 2004 at 10:26:51AM -0500, Mark Hahn wrote:

> Intel added a special connection on their chipset to connect
> gigabit on some chipsets (CSA).  I've been wondering whether
> this would offer a latency advantage, since it's conventional wisdom
> that PCI latency is a noticable part of MPI latency.

Eh? PCI latency can be noticable when you have a low latency network,
but gigE latency isn't nearly that low, especially once you've gone
through a switch.

The only reference to gigabit latency in the article didn't say what
they measured. I'd assume that it was using the normal drivers, which
means the kernel networking stack, which means you're looking through
the telescope from the wrong end.

-- greg