[Beowulf] manageable, nonblocking 24 port gigabit switch

Bogdan Costescu bogdan.costescu at iwr.uni-heidelberg.de
Wed Mar 17 07:17:06 EST 2004

On Wed, 17 Mar 2004, Alex Martin wrote:

> You might want to look at the HP ProCurve 2824 or 2848 series.  We
> choose the latter, because it means we only need one switch per
> (logical) rack and the cost/port is pretty low. I can't yet comment
> on performance.

I'm interested in buying a 48 port Gigabit switch as well, and I was
looking at the 2848 as it has the advantage of 48 ports in only 1U.
One thing that is not clear from the descriptions that I find on the
net is if it has support for Jumbo frames. Does the documentation that
come with it mention something like this or, even better, have you
tried using Jumbo frames ?

I'm also interested in hearing opinions about other 48 ports Gigabit
switches.

--
Bogdan Costescu

Telephone: +49 6221 54 8869, Telefax: +49 6221 54 8868