[Beowulf] MOSIX for FEA (was: no subject)

Lombard, David N david.n.lombard at intel.com
Tue Mar 16 16:19:12 EST 2004

From: Per R M Lindstrom; Monday, March 15, 2004 10:39 AM

> Hi,
>
> I wonder if some of you have experience of MOSIX? (www.mosix.org)
>
> What do you think about that solution for FEA-simulations?

As with all things, "it depends."  More specifically, it depends on the
characteristics of the FEA app.

For the FEA app that I have intimate familiarity with, MOSIX would not
work well at all.  The reason is the app is highly sensitive to
sustained memory bandwidth and sustained disk I/O bandwidth.  While
memory bandwidth is not an issue with MOSIX, disk I/O bandwidth will
become an issue once MOSIX migrates a process to balance CPU load.  The
(local scratch) disk I/O will then be forced through both the current
and original nodes, severely impacting the bandwidth.

Having said that, I can imagine an in-memory FEA app that could work
quite well on MOSIX.  More specifically, the hypothetical app would read
its data from disk, crunch for a while, and then write its results to
disk.

--
David N. Lombard

My comments represent my opinions, not those of Intel Corporation