[Beowulf] Cluster Uplink via Wireless

John Hearns john.hearns at clustervision.com
Tue Mar 16 04:42:30 EST 2004

On Mon, 15 Mar 2004, Jag wrote:

> be worth considering.  I'm assuming the expense in wiring the WS to the
> cluster isn't wire costs so much as where you'd have to put the cable.
> One thing you might consider is IR uplink.  I don't remember what speed
> they get, but a few years back I saw a college use IR to get
> connectivity to a building, that otherwise would have required digging
> up a busy public street to wire.  In the long run it was a lot cheaper.

When I worked in Soho, we had a laser link over the rooftops of London.
At the time a 155Mbps ATM link, which we later used for 100Mbps Ethernet.
Main problem was cleaning the lenses every so often, in the lovely
London air conditions.
We later put in a gigabit laser from Nbase to another building.

We needed much more bandwidth than 100Mbps in the end, and had our own
trench dug and put in dark fibre.