[Beowulf] Cluster Uplink via Wireless

Jag agrajag at dragaera.net
Mon Mar 15 16:23:34 EST 2004

On Fri, 2004-03-12 at 07:06, Michael Arndt wrote:
> Hello *
>
> has anyone done a wireless technology uplink to a compute cluster
> that is in real use ?
> If so, i would be interested to know how and how is the experinece in
> transferring  "greater" (e.g. 2 GB ++ ) Result files?
>
> explanation:
> We have a cluster with gigabit interconnect
> where it would make life cheaper, if there is a possibility to upload
> input data and download output data via wireless link, since connecting
> twisted pair between WS and CLuster would be expensive.

Depending on your setup, some kind of "wireless" besides 802.11[bg] may
be worth considering.  I'm assuming the expense in wiring the WS to the
cluster isn't wire costs so much as where you'd have to put the cable.
One thing you might consider is IR uplink.  I don't remember what speed
they get, but a few years back I saw a college use IR to get
connectivity to a building, that otherwise would have required digging
up a busy public street to wire.  In the long run it was a lot cheaper.
If your expense in wiring is something similar, you may want to look
into IR or similar technologies.  (The IR guns weren't cheap by any
means, except when compared to digging up a city street)