[Beowulf] Power consumption for opterons?

Alex Martin a.j.martin at qmul.ac.uk
Thu Mar 11 04:56:24 EST 2004

On Wednesday 10 March 2004 11:56 pm, Robert G. Brown wrote:

> I went downstairs again today and really paid attention to the
> kill-a-watt.  Dual 1600 MHz Opteron, 1 GB of memory, load average of 3
> (I don't know why but they are running three jobs instead of two at the
> moment) was drawing 182 Watts, 186 VA (roughly 1.5 Amps at a bit over
> 120 V line voltage).
>
> This seems lower than a lot of the other numbers being reported
> (although it is a bit higher than my memory recalled yesterday -- I TOLD
> you not to trust me:-).  It is still considerably better than a dual
> Athlon at much higher clock as well.
>
>    rgb

I find you numbers a bit surprising still  As part of our latest procurement
I looked up the power consumption in the INTEL/AMD documention for the
various processors under consideration:

Athlon

model 6              2200MP             58.9 W
model 8              2400MP             54.5 W
model 11             2800MP (Barton)    47.2 W

Opteron             240-244             82.1 W
                    246-248             89.0 W

Xeon                2.8  GHz              77 W
(512K Cache)        3.06 GHz              87 W

I think these numbers are meant to be maximum?

|  Dr. Alex Martin                                                           |
|  e-Mail:   a.j.martin at qmul.ac.uk        Queen Mary, University of London,  |
|  Phone :   +44-(0)20-7882-5033          Mile End Road,                     |
|  Fax   :   +44-(0)20-8981-9465          London, UK   E1 4NS                |