[Beowulf] Power consumption for opterons?

Robert G. Brown rgb at phy.duke.edu
Wed Mar 10 18:56:06 EST 2004

On Wed, 10 Mar 2004, Mark Hahn wrote:

> > Seems to be running fine with xine.
>
> wow, you're right!  thanks...

(sorry to jump back on the thread this way, but it is easier than
scrolling back through mail to find the original:-)

I went downstairs again today and really paid attention to the
kill-a-watt.  Dual 1600 MHz Opteron, 1 GB of memory, load average of 3
(I don't know why but they are running three jobs instead of two at the
moment) was drawing 182 Watts, 186 VA (roughly 1.5 Amps at a bit over
120 V line voltage).

This seems lower than a lot of the other numbers being reported
(although it is a bit higher than my memory recalled yesterday -- I TOLD
you not to trust me:-).  It is still considerably better than a dual
Athlon at much higher clock as well.

   rgb

Duke University Dept. of Physics, Box 90305
Durham, N.C. 27708-0305
Phone: 1-919-660-2567  Fax: 919-660-2525     email:rgb at phy.duke.edu