[Beowulf] Power consumption for opterons?

Trent Piepho xyzzy at speakeasy.org
Wed Mar 10 09:56:49 EST 2004

On Wed, 10 Mar 2004, [big5] Andrew Wang wrote:
> --- Bill Broadley <bill at cse.ucdavis.edu>
> > I recently measured a Sunfire V20z (dual 2.2 GHz)
> > opteron, I believe it had 2 scsi disks, 4 GB ram.
> >
> >                    watts     VA
> > Idle               237-249   260-281
> > Pstream 1 thread   260-277   290-311
> > Pstream 2 threads  265-280   303-313
>
> It just looks too good to believe the numbers...
> consider that the similar performance one IA64
> processor ALONE draws over 120W.

You also have to consider that the typical computer power supply is only
around 60% to 80% efficient.  If the CPU draws 120W, then that's going to be
something like 150 to 200 watts measured with a power meter, and really,
that's what matters.  It makes no difference to the AC and circuit breakers if
the power is dissipated in the CPU or in the power supply.