[Beowulf] Power consumption for opterons?

Mark Hahn hahn at physics.mcmaster.ca
Wed Mar 10 00:48:45 EST 2004

> > I recently measured a Sunfire V20z (dual 2.2 GHz)
> > opteron, I believe it had 2 scsi disks, 4 GB ram.
> >
> >                    watts     VA
> > Idle               237-249   260-281
> > Pstream 1 thread   260-277   290-311
> > Pstream 2 threads  265-280   303-313

that's about right.  my dual 240's peak at about 250 running
two copies of stream and one bonnie (2GB, 40G 7200rpm IDE).

> But that is with the disks, RAM, and other hardware
> you have.

nothing else counts for much.  for instance, dimms are a couple
watts apiece (makes you wonder about the heatspreaders that
gamers/overclockers love so much), nics and disks are ~10W, etc.

> Anyone with similar configurations but have
> P4s instead?

iirc my dual xeon/2.4's peak at around 190W (1-2GB, otherwise same).

> It just looks too good to believe the numbers...
> consider that the similar performance one IA64
> processor ALONE draws over 120W.

hey, to marketing planners, massive power dissipation is
probably a *good* thing.  serious "enterprise" computers must
have an impressive dissipation to set them apart from those
piddly little game/surfing boxes ;)