[Beowulf] Power consumption for opterons?

Trent Piepho xyzzy at speakeasy.org
Tue Mar 9 21:08:45 EST 2004

On Tue, 9 Mar 2004, C J Kenneth Tan -- Heuchera Technologies wrote:
> What is the power consumption that you measured for your dual P3 and
> Xeons?

System #1:  Dual P3-500 Katmai, BX motherbaord, 512 MB PC100 ECC RAM, two
tulip NICs, cheap graphics card, 5400 RPM IDE drive, floppy drive, one case
fan, and a normal 250W ATX PS with a fan:

System #2:  Nearly the same as system #1 more or less, but with dual P3-850
Coppermines and no case fan.

System #3:  Dual Xeon 2.4 GHz 533FSB, E7501 chipset, 1 GB PC2100 ECC memory,
two 3Ware 8506-8 cards, a firewire card, onboard intel GB and FE, one Maxtor
6Y200P0 drive, 6 high speed case fans (rated 4.44W each), floppy drive, CD-ROM
drive, 550W PS with power factor correction (rated minimum 63% efficient),
SATA backplane, and 16 Maxtor 6Y200M0 SATA drives (rated 7.4W idle each) in
hotswap carriers.  I measured system #3 with the SATA drives both installed
and removed.

Unfortunately I don't have a dual Xeon with minimal extra hardware to test.

#1 Idle 		42W	72 VA	(.58 PF)
#1 Loaded		103W	157 VA	(.66 PF)
#2 Idle			39W	67 VA   (.58 PF)
#2 Loaded		96W	148 VA	(.65 PF)
#3 Idle w/o RAID	162W	168 VA	(.96 PF)
#3 Loaded w/o RAID	283W	289 VA	(.98 PF)
#3 Idle w/ RAID		375W		(stays at .98)
#3 Loaded w/ RAID	510W		(stays at .98)
#3 Loaded w/RAID/bonnie 534W		(stays at .98)

For the load, I used two processes of burnP6, part of cpuburn at
http://users.ev1.net/~redelm/

For a load breakdown by load type for system 1:
        1 process   2 processes
burnP5	65W
burnP6	72WA		103W  (exactly 30W per CPU over idle)
burnMMX	64W
burnK6	69W
burnK7	67W
burnBX	87W		90W
stream	84W		85W

The stream and burnBX memory loaders use more power than a single CPU load
program, but two at once and the CPU loaders use more power.

To load system #3 with the disks on, I ran bonnie++ on all 16 drives.