[Beowulf] Power consumption for opterons?

Robert G. Brown rgb at phy.duke.edu
Tue Mar 9 19:32:49 EST 2004

On Tue, 9 Mar 2004, Trent Piepho wrote:

> Has anyone with dual opteron machines and a kill-a-watt measured how much
> power they consume?
>
> I measured the dual P3 and xeons we have here, but no dual opterons yet.

By strange chance yes.  An astoundingly low 154 watts (IIRC -- I'm home,
the kill-a-watt is at Duke -- but it was definitely ballpark of 150W)
under load.  That's a load average of 2, one task per processor, without
testing under a variety of KINDS of load.  Around 75W per loaded CPU.

That's a bit less than the draw of an >>idle<< dual Athlon (165W).

I'm actually racking six more boxes tomorrow and will recheck the draw
and verify that it really is under load, but I was with Seth when I
measured it and we remarked back and forth about it, really pleased, so
I'm pretty sure I'm right. It has several very positive implications and
seems believable.  They are 1U cases (Penguin Altus 1000's) but the air
coming out of the back is not that hot, really, again compared to the
E-Z Bake Oven 2U 2466 dual Athlons (something like 260W under load).  So
we gain significantly in CPU, get access to larger memory if/when we
care, get 64 bit memory bus, and drop power and cooling requirements
(per CPU, but very nearly per rack U).  It just don't get any better
than this.

I think they are 242's, FWIW.

YMMV.  I could be wrong, mistaken, deaf, dumb, blind, and stupid.  My
kill-a-watt could be on drugs.  I could be on drugs.  Maybe I dropped a
decimal and they really draw 1500W.  Perhaps the beer I spilled in my
kill-a-watt confused it.  I was up to 3:30 am finishing a month-late
column for deadline himself (leaving me only days late on the CURRENT
column) and my brain doesn't work very well any more.

Caveat auditor.

   rgb

Duke University Dept. of Physics, Box 90305
Durham, N.C. 27708-0305
Phone: 1-919-660-2567  Fax: 919-660-2525     email:rgb at phy.duke.edu