[Beowulf] Power consumption for opterons?

Bill Broadley bill at cse.ucdavis.edu
Tue Mar 9 17:36:05 EST 2004

On Tue, Mar 09, 2004 at 01:13:24PM -0800, Trent Piepho wrote:
> Has anyone with dual opteron machines and a kill-a-watt measured how much
> power they consume?
>
> I measured the dual P3 and xeons we have here, but no dual opterons yet.

I recently measured a Sunfire V20z (dual 2.2 GHz) opteron, I believe it
had 2 scsi disks, 4 GB ram.

                   watts     VA
Idle               237-249   260-281
Pstream 1 thread   260-277   290-311
Pstream 2 threads  265-280   303-313

Pstream is very much like McCalpin's stream, except it uses pthreads 2
run parallel threads in sync, and it runs over a range of array sizes.
It's the most power intensive application I've found, anything with
heave disk usage tends to decrease the power usage.

It's also great for showing memory system parallelism, say for a dual
p4 vs opteron.  I also find it useful for finding misconfigured dual
opterons.

For those interested:
http://cse.ucdavis.edu/bill/pstream.c

--