[Beowulf] Cluster school project

micah nerren mnerren at paracel.com
Mon Mar 8 17:31:55 EST 2004

On Mon, 2004-03-08 at 11:54, Maikel Punie wrote:
> hi,
>
> I need to make a smaal beowulf cluster for a school project i have like 2
> months for this stuff, but i need to make my own task asignment.
> So basicly what do you guys think that would be possible to realize in 2
> months time? The only thing they told me, is that the nodes must be discless
> systems.
>
> any ideas about what could be donne in 2 months.
>
> Maikel

To actually build a small (or large!) beowulf of discless systems is
pretty easy, I guess the hardest part will be determining what the
purpose of the cluster will be. What type of code will be running on it?

They will basically be network booting a kernel and mounting an nfs
filesystem. Research these aspects, and research what kind of tools you
want to have on the cluster, ie. distributed shell, monitoring, mpi,
etc.

2 months should be plenty, you should be able to get a basic small
beowulf up and running in 2 hours once you know what to do and how to
set it up.

Time to fire up google and start researching beowulf's and diskless
booting. There is a lot of good info out there.