[Beowulf] e1000 performance

Michael T. Prinkey mprinkey at aeolusresearch.com
Mon Mar 8 14:39:44 EST 2004

Hello everyone,

I am building a small cluster that uses Tyan S2723GNN motherboards that
include an integrated Intel e1000 gigabit NIC.  I have installed two
Netgear 302T gigabit cards in the 66 MHz slots as well.  With
point-to-point links, I can get a very respectable 890 Mbps with the tg3
cards, but the e1000 lags significantly at 300 to 450 Mbps.  I am using
the NAPI e1000 driver in the 2.4.24 kernel. I have tried the following
measures without any improvement:

 - changed the tcp_mem,_wmem,_rmem to larger values.
 - increased the MTU to values >1500.
 - reniced the ksoftirq processes to 0.

The 2.4.24 kernel contains the 4.x version of the e1000.  I plan to try
the 5.x version this evening.  Also, want to try increasing the Txqueuelen
as well.

Has anyone had similar experience with these embedded e1000s?  Googling
leads me to several sites like this one:

http://www.hep.ucl.ac.uk/~ytl/tcpip/tuning/

that seem to indicate that I should expect much more from the e1000.  Any
help here is welcome?

Thanks,

Mike