[Beowulf] good 24 port gige switch

Trent Piepho xyzzy at speakeasy.org
Sun Mar 7 11:10:20 EST 2004

Does anyone have experience with Dell's new 2624 unmanaged 24 port gigE
switch?  It's only about $330, around a 1/10 the cost of the managed switches.
>From what I've read, the Dell/Linksys 5224 managed gigE switch is good.  It
could be that the unmanaged switch uses the exact same Broadcom switch chips,
but just doesn't have management.

On Fri, 5 Mar 2004, Gerry Creager N5JXS wrote:
> expected to be about $3000, for the 24 port model.  I'm getting 2, and
> have dual nics on the nodes, for some playing with channel bonding, and

Last I heard, the interrupt mitigation on gigE cards messes up channel bonding
for extra bandwidth.  The packets arrive in batches out of order, and Linux's
TCP/IP stack doesn't like this, so you get less bandwidth with two cards than
you would with just one.