[Beowulf] good 24 port gige switch

Gerry Creager N5JXS gerry.creager at tamu.edu
Fri Mar 5 23:41:07 EST 2004

Caveats:
1.  It's been arough week.
2.  I've got some specific opinions about 3Com hardware these days.

I just ordered a 16 node cluster.  I'm using the Foundry EdgeIron 24G as
the basic switch.  More than adequate backplane, pretty good small and
large packet performance as tested with an Anritsu MD1230.  Cost is
expected to be about $3000, for the 24 port model.  I'm getting 2, and
have dual nics on the nodes, for some playing with channel bonding, and
so that I've got a failover hot spare if/when one dies.  Remember:
Murphy was an optimist.

For the record I don't expect the EdgeIron to die, but conversely
(perversely?) I expect any and all network devices to die at the least
opportune time!

I didn't even consider 3Com.  Didn't test it.  The 3Com "gigabit"
hardware I've seen recently in the LAN-space was usually capable of gig
uplinks, but had trouble with congestion when gig and 100BaseT were
mixed on the switch.

HP had been OEM'ing Foundry.  I'm not sure if that's still the case or
if they went recently to someone else; my Foundry rep won't say, and I
don't have a close HP rep.

We have programmatically stayed away from Asante in our LAN operations
here.  That translates to no experience an dno contacts.  Sorry.

Cluster should be in within a month, and so should the switches.  I'll
do some latency runs and report objective data.

gerry

Gerry Creager -- gerry.creager at tamu.edu
Cell: 979.229.5301 Office: 979.458.4020 FAX: 979.847.8578
Page: 979.228.0173