[Beowulf] mpich program segfaults

Glen Kaukola glen at mail.cert.ucr.edu
Thu Mar 4 19:48:21 EST 2004

Douglas Eadline, Cluster World Magazine wrote:

>What type of machine is this?

An Apple G5.

And actually I've figured out what's wrong.  Sorta.  =)

I replaced my problematic subroutine with a dummy subroutine that
contains nothing but variable declarations and a print statement.  This
still caused a segmentation fault.  So I commented pretty much
everything out.  No segmentation fault.  Alright then.  I slowly added
it all back in, checking each time to see if I got a segmentation fault.

And now I'm down to 4 variable declarations that are causing a problem:
REAL          ZFGLURG   ( NCOLS,NROWS,0:NLAYS )
INTEGER      ICASE( NCOLS,NROWS,0:NLAYS )
REAL         THETAV( NCOLS,NROWS,NLAYS )
REAL         ZINT  ( NCOLS,NROWS,NLAYS )

If I uncomment any one of those, I get a segmentation fault again.

But it still doesn't make any sense.  First of all, there are variable
declarations almost exactly like the ones I listed and those don't cause
a problem.  I also made a small test case that called my dummy
subroutine and that worked just fine.  I then commented out everything
but the problematic variable declarations I listed above and that worked
just fine.  I tried changing the variable names but that didn't seem to
make a difference, as I still got a segmentation fault.  So I have no
idea what the heck is going on.  I think I need to tell my boss we need
to give up on G5's.

Glen