[Beowulf] SCI Socket latency: 2.27 microseconds

Joachim Worringen joachim at ccrl-nece.de
Tue Mar 2 03:36:42 EST 2004

Mark Hahn:
> > "This is the lowest latency socket solution available today," said
> > Hugo Kohmann, CTO for Dolphin Interconnect. "SCI Socket opens new
> well, Quadrics now claims 1.8 us MPI latency:
> http://doc.quadrics.com/quadrics/QuadricsHome.nsf/NewsByDate/5D7D7444A42B39
> it's interesting that SCI is still on 64x66 PCI - it would be very
> interesting to know how many and what kinds of codes really require

A large fraction of the latency does indeed stem from the two PCI-buses that
need to be crossed. For that reason, Dolphin would certainly get an
additional latency decrease when running on a 133MHz bus. I guess they have
this in the pipeline.

Joachim Worringen - NEC C&C research lab St.Augustin
fon +49-2241-9252.20 - fax .99 - http://www.ccrl-nece.de