[Beowulf] SCI Socket latency: 2.27 microseconds

Mark Hahn hahn at physics.mcmaster.ca
Mon Mar 1 11:35:56 EST 2004

well, this is interesting.  it appears that AMD has given all
interconnect vendors a boost, since Myri and Quadrics seem to like
Opterons as well ;)

> "This is the lowest latency socket solution available today," said
> Hugo Kohmann, CTO for Dolphin Interconnect. "SCI Socket opens new

well, Quadrics now claims 1.8 us MPI latency:
http://doc.quadrics.com/quadrics/QuadricsHome.nsf/NewsByDate/5D7D7444A42B398280256E44005A31DD

it's interesting that SCI is still on 64x66 PCI - it would be very
interesting to know how many and what kinds of codes really require
higher bandwidth.  yes, some vendors (esp IB) are pushing PCI-express
as bandwith salvation, but afaikt, none of my users need even >500 MB/s
today.  it doesn't seem like PCI-express will be any kind of major win
in small-packet latency...