[Beowulf] Re: scyld and jaguar

Sean Dilda agrajag at dragaera.net
Mon Mar 22 17:56:24 EST 2004

On Mon, 2004-03-22 at 15:15, desi star wrote:
> Hi Mike,
>
> Thanks much for responding. Jaguar is indeed staticaly
> linked to the MPICH libraries as per manuals. When I
> ran the ldd commands as you suggested:
>
> --
> $ ldd Jaguar
>   not a dynamic executable
> $
> --
>
> Thats why the very first step sugested in the Jaguar
> installation is to build and configure MPICH from the
> start. Where do I go from here?

I'm not familiar with Jaguar, but I am somewhat familiar with Scyld.  I
believe you are taking the wrong approach with this.

Even though Jaguar says you should start with building mpich, I don't
think that's what you want to do.  You almost certainly want to stick
with the MPICH binaries that were provided by Scyld.  First make sure
there is no confusion and remove the copy of mpich that you built.  Next
make sure the mpich and mpich-devel packages are installed on your
system.  'rpm -q mpich ; rpm -q mpich-devel' should tell you this.  If
they're not, 'rpm -i mpich-XXXXX.rpm' should install the package.  You
can find the packages on your Scyld cd(s).

Once you have those packages installed, then attempt to compile jaguar.
It should link against Scyld's copy of mpich and just work.  I suggest
following Scyld's instructions for running mpich jobs, not Jaguars.
Scyld has made adjustments to their copy of MPICH that make it work
right on their system.  In the process they also change the way jobs are
launched.  So Scyld may not have 'mpirun', but has a better way to start
the job.

As Michael pointed out, Scyld's version of MPICH doesn't require rsh,
ssh, or anything like it.  So your questions along those lines are
somewhat moot.

Sean