[Beowulf] help! need thoughts/recommendations quickly

Mike Eggleston mikee at mikee.ath.cx
Tue Mar 2 08:23:33 EST 2004

I realize this question is not specific to beowulf clusters... however,
at 9a I'm meeting with an upset user about a bunch of workstations
using serial termainals. Things don't happen as quickly as he wants:
setup, problem diagnosis, throughput, etc. What solutions can I present
for these problems (I realize this is just a quick summary!). Also,
the serial terminals are running at 9600 baud over sometimes 50 meters.
One table I found shows 60 meters is 2400 baud and 30 meters is 4800
baud. I think this is part of the problem.

Possible solutions I have thought of:

- user stops complaining and deals with the situation
- put ethernet->serial converts at the terminals so the terminals are
  on the network
- put small VIA type boards whose image is loaded through tftp and
  the serial terminals actually run from the via boards
- what else?

Mike