[Beowulf] Re: Beowulf Digest, Vol 4, Issue 42

Isaac Dooley idooley at isaacdooley.com
Mon Jun 28 15:31:57 EDT 2004

>I'm wondering if there is a way to emulate MPI,
>so that MPI software development may be done on a single
>processor box and run with "virtual nodes."
>
>Thanks! (Sorry if this is the wrong list for such a question.)
>
>jgw

I know MPICH allows this as the default when only one machine is listed
in the machines.LINUX(or other) file. So just set it up as if you had a
cluster with only one node.  One important note, you may not run into
the same deadlock issues if you run on one machine, so you might write a
program that runs fine on one node, but deadlocks when run accross a
real cluster. So make sure you write good code from the start. This is
all speaking from recent experience on a MPICH/Linux/Ethernet cluster.

Isaac Dooley