[Beowulf] scaling / file serving

Lombard, David N david.n.lombard at intel.com
Thu Jun 10 18:56:05 EDT 2004

From: Joe Landman
>On Wed, 2004-06-09 at 20:02, Patrice Seyed wrote:
>> Hi,
>> A current cluster with 15 nodes/ 30 processors mainly used for batch
>> computing has one head/management node that maintains scheduling
>> well as home directories for users. The cluster is due for an upgrade
>> will increase the number of compute nodes to about 100. I'm
>> breaking out one of the compute nodes, adding disks, and making it a
>> storage/file server node.
>The other issue is local disk.  There are some folks absolutely
>horrified at the prospect of a cluster node having a local disk.  Makes
>management harder.  Then again, for each IDE channel and reasonably
>modern disk, you can get 40-50 MB/s of read and about 33 MB/s write
>performance.  So if you have a nice RAID0 stripe across 2 different IDE
>channels (remember that cluster vendors, *different*) IDEs, you can
>80+ MB/s reads and 60+ MB/s writes per node (one recent IBM 325 Opteron
>based system I put together hit 120MB/s sustained reads on a large
>Abaqus job, and about 90 MB/s sustained writes).  So if you can set
>scratch to run off of the local RAID0, you can get some serious
>performance versus a network based file system.  Of course some folks
>would prefer to spend and extra $500 per node on 15k RPM SCSI to get
>60 MB/s on writes and 80 MB/s on reads.

Some apps do quite well with {P,S}ATA RAID; others choke on it.  As
always, it depends.  Also, I haven't seen 15k provide better b/w than
10k, but...

Also, sustained (>> memory size) SCSI or FC numbers 3x - 6+x above are
reasonable expectations for RAID0 with the right (application-dependent)
I/O size, fs config, and h/w.  This isn't cheap, but sometimes a
requirement is a requirement.

Relative to the original request about NFS, I was surprised at this, but
I've listened to sysadmins rail against ATA and NFS claiming poor
performance, but I have no actual experience supporting this nor were
they able to provide specifics, so this is only hearsay.  But, once
again, test, don't assume.

David N. Lombard
My comments represent my opinions, not those of Intel Corporation.