Fedora cluster project? (was Re: [Beowulf] Opteron/AthlonClustering)

Lombard, David N david.n.lombard at intel.com
Thu Jun 10 15:42:47 EDT 2004

From: Jeffrey B. Layton; Wednesday, June 09, 2004 6:15 PM
[wholesale deletia]
>... As I've said before, I'd like to see commercial
>app providers to support something like a kernel/glibc combo
>independent of the distro (as Greg as pointed out, Pathscale has
>already gone this route). I'm encouraging all of our commercial
>app companies to do this. We'll see if this has any affect or not.

I did exactly that when MSC.Nastran was first released for Linux ('98?).
It works quite well for batch-oriented applications and for ISVs that
use the environment properly.

It starts breaking down with C++-based GUI apps and/or as the number of
third-party components increases.

David N. Lombard
My comments represent my opinions, not those of Intel Corporation.