[Beowulf] raw ethernet

John Hearns john.hearns at clustervision.com
Thu Jul 22 12:30:18 EDT 2004

On Thu, 2004-07-22 at 17:15, Daniel Ridge wrote:
> ing.
> >  It would probably take far more time to figure out how
> > to override the NIC MAC addresses and build semi-robust utilities for
> > doing so throughout a cluster.
> ifconfig can set NIC MAC addresses. It's trivial.
Bob Brown knows that.
He's also just given you a concrete example why you'd have to be very
careful to restrict a scheme like this to a private network.

And, hey, Shiva Fastpaths aren't THAT old, are they.... :-(

One other thought from me is that if you use PXE booting you'd probably
have to have two pools of IP addresses - as the node would boot with its
hardware MAC and do PXE using that. So a 'temporary' DHCP pool for that.
Then when the system pivot-roots or whatever and you change the MAC you
would have to get another DHCP lease.