[Beowulf] passwordless "rsh" login

Daniel Pfenniger daniel.pfenniger at obs.unige.ch
Thu Jul 8 14:11:14 EDT 2004

Andrew M.A. Cater wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 07, 2004 at 01:20:43PM -0700, sandeep krishnan wrote:
> _Don't_ use rsh :) Use ssh with key exchange and passwordless login.
> There is a compatibility hack to make ssh behave exactly like rsh -
> you might even get away just with linking ssh -> rsh :)

Please elaborate, I prefer rational arguments to orders.
What is wrong with rsh, what is much better with ssh?
A few words explanation would help.

As far as I understand, in an isolated cluster rsh works rather well,
security is not necessarily an issue.
On the other hand ssh may slow communications for particular usages
(such as a constant stream of console messages through the network).

ssh is particularly recommended on an untrusted network, but then
I would like once to see an *easy* procedure for installing ssh safely
by the sys admin passwordless login for all the network trusted users.