[Beowulf] What's your average queue time?

Mark Hahn hahn at physics.mcmaster.ca
Tue Jul 6 14:48:51 EDT 2004

> I was wondering what everyone elses average queue time was for their
> cluster jobs.

I don't believe there's any useful generalization here, since job
runtimes probably differ by at least three orders of magnitude.

> We use maui and the showstats command says that our averge queue time is
> 2.5 hour and our max is around 3.4 hours. I'm kinda wishy washy on how I
> feel about it though.

one one cluster where jobs often run for weeks (and are big-parallel),
our wait times can sometimes be weeks.  on another, a serial farm,
throughput is often ~100 jobs/day, and wait times are much, much lower.

I find that users are happy if there's a general queue (which is
mostly FIFO, perhaps modulated by fairshare) *AND* a test queue
(for time-limited test jobs, such as debugging.)

regards, mark hahn.